Getting a page 1 listing on Google or Bing can bring hundreds and sometimes thousands of people to your website each month. There are 2 ways in which you can get to page 1, the first being paid inclusions and the second is using SEO and link building to get into the organic listings. Here I will try to help you with both of these.
We will start with what I think is the most difficult getting page one rankings in the organic search results.
Organic Search Rankings
Getting a website on page 1 of the search engines, depending on the competition, can be very difficult. To get a high ranking for less competitive keywords also isn’t easy if your website isn’t designed correctly and doesn’t have good quality content. Backlinks to a website is a big factor in ranking high but if you have duplicate content or hidden links on your website then no matter how many links you have you are going to struggle. Everything needs to be right. You might get away with things in the short term but longer term you will get penalised. Use a digital marketing agency such as Acrobat Marketing so ensure that everything is set up correctly.
Use popular sites to showcase your skills. These include creating videos on Youtube and slides presentations on Slide where you can create a presentation on the services that you offer.
Other popular resources include Followus and Folkd.
Getting page 1 listings in the organic search results does take time but when you achieve this it will be worth the wait as each click through won’t cost you any money.
These are just some of the factors that need to be looked at:
- Make sure you have good quality content on your site
- Make it easy for people to navigate around your website
- Check that you don’t have any broken links i.e. links to pages on your site or external websites that no longer exist
- Use good descriptions for your meta tag title and meta tag description. This will help your click through rate.
- List your company on local business directories
- Use SEO tools to make your life easier
- Use Social media sites such as Twitter, Google + and Facebook to let people know about your products or services
The beauty of paid listings is that you can have a page 1 presence within hours. The downside is that your pay per click campaign can be expensive if you don’t know what you are doing.
You need to be aware of using negative keywords to ensure you are not paying for keywords that are not relevant to your business. You need to use conversion tracking so that you can reduce or increase your bids on poor or well performing keywords.
Our advice is to use a blend of both organic SEO and pay per click advertising.